Friday, June 3, 2011

National Donut Day

Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?
~ Matt Groen




How funny that today was National Donut day in the USA and I decided to randomly make donuts last  night!!
Actually I've been itching to bake for weeks, however I've been busy with either friends, work, errands etc. There's a couple of things that I've wanted to make to showcase on the blog, one was Definitely homemade mini donuts. 
Even though summer is really busy and my work schedule for this month is out of control, i've pre-planned what i'll be making and I can give you a heads up now of the coming blogs, I'm not exactly sure of the order but it will be something a little like this:
~ Chocolate Madeleines (if you remember just after christmas when my family bought me that ginormous, extravagant Kitchen Aid mixer, Madeleine cookies were the 1st thing I made with it!) Now I'm going to do a slight variation to the traditional Madeleine and make her CHOCOLATE! The Madeleine is already a confusing cookie, is it cookie? ... is it cake? Maybe a little of both! :) But I have a feeling people will be leaning closer to cake after trying my chocolate Madeleine!
~ Viennese cookies, I found this recipe recently and I thought how simple and what a cute little homemade cookie to have on hand for any last minute visitors who stop in!
~ MACARONS, Now I know Macarons are every bakers worst nightmare... but I can't help it, I LOVE THEM! With all the different flavor and color combinations, they are the cutest accessory to any party! But, I am going to leave you in suspense to what flavors I chose- so if you love Macarons, stay tuned for that blog!
~ Paris Brest, and last but certainly not  least to the month of June will be Paris Brest with expresso cream. Speaking of unexpected visitors in the summer, this jaw dropping pastry is a prefect solution to those nights when you are having guests and don't feel like sweating over an oven to deliver something with a punch. This dessert is a 10/10 for looks, flavor, and calories! :) ... But who's counting anyway!

Well, anyway if you are a follower of the blog thats what you can look forward to in the month!

Getting back to National Donut Day and my full day of baking to bring to you- da da da daaaaaaaa! Mini donuts & donut holes/timbits/munchkins (Not photographed! :(  Unfortunately!) 
Here they ARE:




I had an inspiration once from a photo I saw of all  different pastel colored donuts and I though it looked so beautiful and innocent ( innocent as in, so light & fluffy and calorie FREE! Ha Ha) So when it came to glazing I could have gone the old fashion route with chocolate or maple, but instead I opted for a plain vanilla with pastel colors instead.
Don't let these donuts fool you though! They are called raised donuts, so they require yeast and unlike most homemade donuts are not super dense, they are more like the donuts you would get from a coffee shop such as  Tim Hortons Or Dunkin Donuts. They are fluffy inside and Very Yummy! However, they did take almost exactly an entire day to make! I started making my dough around 11am yesterday morning and between proofing & waiting and rolling out and shaping and  proofing & waiting, Ha Ha! I put my glaze on at 1:48 am this morning! They were dry enough for me to add the nonpareils at around 2:30am! Oufff! That was a big job! I'm happy I did it though because I've always wanted to make my own donuts, but I don't think I'll be making these on a regular basis! If your looking a recipe for homemade donuts you can go HERE. It's a little similar to the one I used and modified!
I plan on giving these away, so- ANY TAKERS! Lol
This is all the ingredients it took to make these yummy donuts!

Hope you had a wonderful National Donut Day, and scarfed down plenty of donuts! See you next time when I blog about Chocolate Madeleines!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment