Saturday, April 24, 2010

Ladies High Tea





"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it."














In the first week of May, some ladies I know will be throwing a Ladies High Tea. I love "high tea" themed parties and showers. In summer of 2008 my friend Michelle's bridal shower was tea party themed, and last July I threw a ladies tea party/ baby shower for my friend Cindy. It was a blast! I didn't make all the fancy sandwiches and scones with clotted cream that you normally have, since it was an evening ladies tea, but we had cupcakes and tea. I brought out all my teapots and borrowed one from my mom and mother-in-law. We had over 6 different teas, and 4 different types of cupcakes- chocolate, Vanilla, butter pecan and lemon. Each batch were designed differently with butter cream icing. Check out my baby shower cupcakes, just one platter of five :

      (This says "Baby Lorkovic"- in an up and down kind of way!)

I think the reason I've always loved tea parties is because from a young age i've collected tea cups and tea pots. I think now I have about 8 full sets, and over a dozen miss matched pots and cups. 


I had to run to my local baking supply store to see if they had teapot cookie cutters- I looked high and low, over racks and racks of cookie cutters. There was no teapot to be found, I was looking around for other things when I noticed a box of discount items on the floor... who doesn't want baking supplies at a discount price? So, I riffled around a bit and, surprise! I found the cutest cookie cutter set called "Tea Party!" In the pack there's:
1-Teapot
1-Tea cup
1-Ladies hat
1-Lemon and
1-Circle cookie cutter.

You can also find them online Here.

Now I had to find a really great sugar cookie recipe, because not only do I want them to be pretty but i want them to taste really good. So, it was My Mom to the rescue! She told me one of the most yummy and easy to back sugar cookie recipes she has ever used was from Wilton. I was really surprised. The recipe sounds delish Here it is! (There's also an option to have chocolate sugar cookies with that recipe.) 

Cookie cutters- check, cookie recipe- check, now I just need to figure out the nicest way to ice them. Youtube to the rescue! I found an AMAZING tutorial on 5 completely different ways to ice a cookie! Huh- who would have thought!

If you have any interest in learning how to ice a cookie as wedding gifts, gifts, holidays, fundraisers, or even for a tea party- you need this these tutorials in your life! Lol





I hope you learned something from those videos, I know I did!

Also, If your planning on throwing a tea party soon, I recently saw an episode of Ricardo and friends (Ricardo is a well known Quebec cook) and the theme of the show was "Tea Time Baby shower"  the recipes are to DIE for! With recipes like:
Chicken sandwiches with curried mayonnaise, mini ham scones, and a delicious dessert of mini strawberry scones! Check out his recipes at the food network

Happy Tea party planning and I'll give you an update with how my cookies turn out!

Have something indulgent tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment